Re: Library package naming

also sprach Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> [2005.05.07.0759 +0200]:
> When I read the Debian Library Packagaing Guide I get the impression
> that libnet6-1-0 would be correct, but some in #debian-devel said
> that the library is improperly named.

Yes, it is. It should not mention -1. In fact, -release should not
be combined with -version-info, and it's almost always better to use
-version-info. Using release means that no two packages will ever be
binary compatible. See the libtool manual.

The Debian package should be named libnet6-0, where the -0 encodes
the binary age of the library.

> Upstream's intention for “-
> release 1” was that major versions are binary incompatible anyway and
> so one could reset the SONAME to 0:0:0. If this versioning should be
> changed upstream please tell me so, and please with a clue for me
> what's wrong with it.

It's simple: the SONAME must never be reset. It should be used
precisely to deal with the situation. -version-info is your friend.
You should tell upstream to stop using -release.

(I am in a rush, so that's all I can say right now...)

`. `'`

"a compliment is like a kiss through a veil."
                                                        -- victor hugo