Re: looking for sponsor - giac, computer algebra system

Carlos Enrique Carleos Artime <carleos@www.uica.info> wrote:

> As described in bug 155075, I intend to package GIAC, a computer algebra
> system developed by Bernard Parisse, author of the algebra software of
> HP 49G, 40G, 49G+, 48GII calculators.
>
> GIAC's homepage is
> 	http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~parisse/giac.html
>
> The package "giac" is available at apt-get.org.  Lines for sources.list:
> 	deb ftp://fisher.ciencias.uniovi.es/debian unstable main
> 	deb-src ftp://fisher.ciencias.uniovi.es/debian unstable main
[...]
> This is my first try to build a library package.

Have you read the new maintainers guide, and had a look at the
developers' reference?

I had a look at it, and there are some problems:

- The program is packaged as Debian native. This shouldn't be, it should
  have an orig.tar.gz and a diff.gz.

- debian/changelog has entries that don't sound very useful ["No
  original manpages" - this sentence no verb ;-)].

- README.Debian could be better, too - it's not interesting for users
  that you should split the package, that you have found an upstream bug
  (if writing that at all, then also mentioned that you have actually
  submitted it upstream), and that dpkg-buildpackage can regenerate the
  package. Besides, the lines got messed up.

- as for the rest, it is currently compiling, and since this seems to
  take quite long I'm sending this mail before it's finished.

Happy Easter,
Frankk

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie