Re: Separating packages.

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 19:45, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Certainly there are things which could be done to help.  I didn't say that
> the problems were insoluble, but they do exist, and you haven't even begun
> to consider them all (many different pieces of infrastructure are affected).

Ok, I admit I haven't considered all the related problems. I probably
know too little to be able to find them all. However, I'm then left with
only one way to look at this: either this is a problem that cannot be
solved, or the flaws that lead to this go deeper than I thought. If
you're right and the problems are solvable, then this sure is one
mammoth of a problem.

Let me put it this way: disregarding the particulars of any package
management system, doesn't it sound silly that you can't split packages
when it would fit a purpose? If there is a non-technical reason, then
there's no problem and the package shouldn't be split. But if the
reason, however large and complicated, is technical, then that's no
reason at all -- it's a challenge to be solved.

Well, I realize that the next thing I'd have to do is to stop whining
and write the code to solve all these problems and remove any technical
obstacles to split every single file in all the Debian packages into a
package per file. Maybe I will. Maybe someone else will. But I doubt it
will be done as long as the approach is to value what we have more than
what we could have...

Anyway, interesting discussion. If anyone has any further information,
I'd be glad to learn more about it!

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>