upgrading to UTF-8 Mini HOW-TO (was: Re: debian-changelog-file-uses-obsolete-national-charset)

Here is how I resolved it:

1) Keep fi_FI.@euro (ISO-8859-15) as a locale.
2) Uncommented "charset utf-8" in .gnupg/gpg.conf
3) Convert all files in debian/* to UTF-8.
4) Build package using favorite tools (e.g. debuild, etc.).
   Odd fonts will show, but debsign will still work OK.

Thanks to everyone who contributed tips on resolving this issue! :)

PS:  this should probably go in a FAQ somewhere, to help everyone start
transiting their Debian setup to UTF-8.

*****

The only remaining issue is that debchange complains that the corresponding UID
is not UTF-8 encoded in GECOS (it still succeeds in upgrading the changlog and
produces something that debuild accepts, though):

X8-----
<q-funk@omena:/home/q-funk/Projects/cups-pdf-1.3.1>$ debchange
debchange warning: passwd full name field for uid 1000
is not UTF-8 encoded; ignoring
<q-funk@omena:/home/q-funk/Projects/cups-pdf-1.3.1>$
X8-----

I'd thus need a script to recode /etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/groups to UTF-8.
However, I have no idea if e.g. adduser, NIS tools, etc. can cope with those
Unicode escape characters in those files.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~q-funk/