Re: Suggestions On Getting A Sponsor

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:49:52PM -0400, Michael MacFadden wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Point taken.  But I happen to be the upstream author for this project.
> So it's not like I just picked this out of a hat, and it's not like I am
> in the position to say, "Well maybe I should just pick something easier
> to package".  The only reason I am looking into packaging this is
> because several people have emailed me and asked about the availability
> of Debian packages.  Since Debian happens to be my platform of choice I
> figured I would try to learn the ropes of package maintenance.
>
> Granted, I am a complete newbie and don't understand the technical or
> philosophical issues behind some of these issues.  But if I am
> passionate and committed to getting this packaged and into Debian, then
> there must be some avenue.  I suppose the trick is finding a developer
> who is both experienced with Web App packaging and also interested in my
> package.

If I were you, I'd just put the packages you create on the upstream site
and add a note saying you're looking for a sponsor for the packages.
That way, users will be able to download the packages, and if an
interested developer finds them, the packages should find an easy path
into Debian.

I don't think it's worth trying to force the package into Debian if you
can't easily find a sponsor.  There's a general feeling with developers
that Debian is already far too big and there are too many packages that
are of very little interest.  The testing release managers, of whom
Steve is one, probably especially feel this way since the bigger Debian
is, the more they have to get it released.

--
Blast you and your estrogenical treachery!