Re: RFS: viewglob -- A graphical display of directories referenced at the shell prompt

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 11:02:26PM +0200, Michael Schiansky wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:04:52PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
>> > ... or indeed any such obfuscated patching system ...
>>
>> Why do you call dpatch 'obfuscated' ?
>> Before I used it for one of my packages i quickly checked the code and it
>> simply works. No big fancy stuff etc.
>>
>> Did I miss a part?
>
> Compared to simply making the source changes directly, it's obfuscated.

Personally I find a bunch of unrelated changes lumped together in a
big diff (like, say, in openssh to pick a purely random example) is a
much worse obfuscation than being forced to learn './debian/rules
patch'.

> I recommend using a good revision control system instead, which
> offers similar benefits to developers while leaving things clear for
> users.

A good revision control system is of little use to other developers if
it's not available to them ...

--
James