Re: Executing with root priviliges

#include <hallo.h>
* David A. Riggs [Sat, Jun 05 2004, 05:06:17PM]:

> 1. gksu
> 2. kdesu
> 3. an xterm prompting with su
>
> I propose that 'su-to-root' look at a configuration file for a preferred
> method, first in /etc and then in ~/ so users may specify their
> preference. If people think this is a good idea, I'll place a wishlist
> bug for 'menu' and a patch.

Yeah, please take care of it. I think the best way would to go the same
way as with browsers:

 - virtual packages: x-www-browser and www-browser
 - /etc/alternatives/(x-)www-browser managed by update-alternatives
 - "sensible-browser" skript which tries custom settings ($BROWSER,
   $XBROWSER or so), then x-www-browser, then www-browser (invoced in
   "x-terminal-emulator" when needed) and then the common names
   "mozilla", "netscape" for possibly self-installed stuff

I am not sure how to implement this policy for su-replacements... Best
virtual package name? id-changer and x-id-changer? Or uid-changer? How
to call the script? "sensible-su" (after sensible-browser,
sensible-pager, etc.) or something different?

If you need help to implement the script (in Perl), tell me.

Regards,
Eduard.
--
Trinke, wenn du glücklich bist,