Re: How to get package in main with the same version to upgrade over a mentors.debian.net version?

Geert Stappers wrote, Friday, June 04, 2004 7:38 AM:

> On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 03:30:12PM -0700, Matt Brubeck wrote:
> > Geert Stappers wrote:
[...]
> > > Gee, I real need to find back that document that wrote to use
> > >
> > >  1.0-0.1, 1.0-0.2, 1.0-0.3 etc for non official debian packages.
> >
> > I don't think this is a good idea, because those numbers are used for
> > non-maintainer uploads.  You could have different versions with the same
> > number, one uploaded to m.d.n and the other uploaded to the main archive
> > as an NMU.  It's also confusing because it looks like an NMU.
>
> Relax.
> Offical Debian package numbers start with x.y.z-1, never as x.y.z-0
> There is no harm that it _looks_ like a NMU, it does mean
> no official Debian status. Please assume smart users that can tell
> the difference between zero and non zero.

Actually, it's entirely possible, if rare, as Goswin already pointed out.

If the current version in the archive is 1.1, and you upload an NMU of 1.2,
that NMU should be 1.2-0.1 (so that a maintainer upload of 1.2-1 supersedes
it).

Adam