Becoming the upstream maintainer of a package

I'm the current maintainer for xtrlock and it was abandoned upstream
years ago (1996?). I have an updated package where I rewrote the build
system since the old one used Imake and some flags that no longer were
relevant. I fixed a few minor other issues in the source as well.
Someone mentioned I might as well declare myself upstream since I've
already rewrote parts of it (build) and because it's a pretty small code
base. I'm just wondering how I might go about declaring myself its
upstream maintainer and updating the package accordingly. My assumption
is that I should note the change in the changelog and upgrade the
version from 2.0-9 to 2.01.