Need help: autoreconf breaks library package?

Hi,

linux-atm_2.4.9 in unstable builds fine. Upstream uses kind of ancient
autotools.

I am currently trying to include br2684 from the upstream CVS into my
package. To have br2684 built, I need to re-build the makefiles. So I
install automake and autoconf, and run autoreconf.

After autoreconf, the package still builds without any error message,
but the library files are missing the .so suffix. This is b0rken.

This can be reproduced on current sid using the procedure described
above.

Since I don't have too much clue about the autotools, I cannot solve
this problem myself. Can anybody help? Thank you very much.

Greetings
Marc