Why are libraries considered bad victims for first packages?

Hey,

I have been an open source developer for some time, and am now an
experienced Debian user (a whole week under my belt!).

I am interested in getting some of my code available as Debian packages,
but the web pages I have been reading imply that it is a bad thing to
attempt a library as a first package. Unfortunately most of my code
depends on libraries which I have also written.

Why are libraries considered hard to package? Are the problems
insurmountable for a newbiew?

Thanks,
Mikal

--