Re: Help with init replacement

Replying to myself. What a shame.

Anyway, this whole thread really belongs in debian-devel.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> > Hmm; I can see how to make it work if packages register /either/ static
> > ordering or dependencies, but not both.
>
> It must, for backwards compatibility.  Once the package has BOTH information
> registered, dependencies would take precedence (as in disable the static
> ordering).

Which is impossible if it must work in the middle of the static ordering
chain. Bleh.

Anyway, it is not like it matters. Have both static ordering and
dependencies active at the same time, but honour them separately.  A
dependency-based system would already have to track the state of services to
be worth something in the first place.

There _are_ scenarious where you JUST cannot do anything sensible, but
detecting those is also a function the dependency-based system must have,
and it must report so to the admin.

The transition period would be irksome, but it could be made to work.

  Henrique Holschuh