Re: timidity-patches

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:28:16PM -0400, Tommy Moore wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 06:37:40PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Do you have documentation to show that we have a license to distribute
> > this package (bug #156057)?

> Hi Steve.  I took a look at the copyright file in the package and from
> this document I believe that the package could still remain in the
> archive, but it may need to be moved to the non-free section of the
> archive though because of the licensing restrictions.
> Basically what the license file says is that the patches can not be
> used in a commercial environment so this would mean the package would
> qualify for the non-free section and have to be moved out of main.

The copyright file currently included with the package is not
authoritative; please review the bug log in detail.  In particular,

"timidity-patches is basically the MIDIA patch set. MIDIA is a straight
copy of the patches from the original GUS drivers for DOS, created by
EYE&I productions; there is no license permitting free redistribution."

If there is no license for redistribution, it's not ok for non-free,
either.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer