Re: When to use debconf, and how much?

frank@kuesterei.ch (=?utf-8?b?RnJhbmsgS8O8c3Rlcg==?=) writes:

> Joshua Kwan <joshk@triplehelix.org> schrieb:
>
> > On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 05:00:00PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> >> - Ask wether the laptop uses PCMCIA or not.
> >>
> >>   If yes, /etc/pcmcia/network.opts should contain the necessary
> >>   information, it is parsed.
> >>
> >>   If no a scheme is set up based on /etc/network/interfaces and
> >>   /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > This could be determined based on ps ax | grep cardmgr or something. It
> > is not necessary to ask a debconf question about it, I think.
>
> Hm. Once someone comes up with something much better than cardmgr and
> calls it differently, it will fail.

Then it will be fixed. Also if it fails you are no worse off than now,
just configure it by hand.

Just make you best effort to autodetect and provide good examples in
doc.

Also why not just look for the config file and if any one is present
use that to provide one config option.

> > As for the others, I think they're ok, except that the notice should be
> > priority low.
>
> If I have a secure method to figure out wether we're using PCMIA or not,
> I think I can reliably set up netenv based on the existing configuration
> (or rather, reliably test if trying to set it up worked). So either I
> ask that question, or I don't really need to ask any.
>
> I don't use PCMCIA these days, and I don't feel competent to develop "or
> something".

As said in my mail, create the different configs and let the user
choise which one to use. Maybe he has pcmcia but doesn't want it
managed.

MfG
        Goswin