Re: creating your own debian package repository

Eric Winger <ewinger@keyww.com> writes:
> So, two questions:
>
> * Is this a reasonable way to maintain our internal packages - ie a
> seperate archive? Or is there a better way.

Its realy easy for small repositories (say <100 packages so this
applies to you) but you need proper management scripts if you have a
lot of packages and multiple persons managing the archive/uploading
debs.

> * If this is the most reasonable way, where is the information on
> building/maintaining your own archive.

You already got told about dpkg-scan{packages,sources}, that should be
fine for you already.

But if you want to use the archive from outside a trusted network you
should also make "Release" files giving md5sums of the Packages and
Sources files and gpg sign those. I'm not sure where the Syntax of
Release files is descriped or if but its easy to make your own by
using Debians as templates.

You should also care to set the Origin to point at you and not Debian
for bug reporting purposes.

MfG
        Goswin