Re: lintian error "file-in-unusual-dir usr/etc/settings/" with Qt3-Application

Dominik Stadler <dominik.stadler@gmx.at> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I started working on a debian-package. The application uses the Qt-Library as
> basis (no KDE). During startup, the application looks in a directory
> "/usr/etc/settings/" for system-wide settings for the application. This is
> not coded inside the application, but a feature of the Qt-Library.

Uh, are you sure?  If it's using QSettings, you can modify the search
path to be something sane.  Or is it getting set through a configure
script?  Showing us the source would be helpful.

> If I try to include a configfile in this directory, lintian complains about
> this with several errors and warnings.

Rightly so.

> I need the configfile there in order to set some system-wide settings that are
> required to run the application. Without them, every user will need to do
> manual configuration when starting the application.
>
> My question therefore: Is this a case where lintian should allow an exception,
> because I have no other way of telling the Qt-Library to search in a
> different directory? Or is it simply not possible?

No, this certainly shouldn't be allowable.

--
I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis.