Re: Recompiling a package

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 03:42:40PM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> I was searching for a package and I've found it. But it?s compiled for
> Debian stable. I use Debian unstable and I would like to compile it for
> my version of Debian.
> How can I recompile it? I have those files:
> program.diff.gz
> program.dsc
> program.changes
> program.deb
> program.orig.tar.gz

Make sure you have installed the build-essential meta-package, it will
download things the package maintainer has assumed you have.
then,
dpkg-source -x program.dsc
cd program-1.2.3
more debian/control
(check you have whatever it asks for in Build-Depends: lines)
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -B -uc

You may have problems if the program uses some complex libraries and
those versions are not available or have changed.  For example it may
specify it requires libblah1-dev but you have libblah2-dev installed in
unstable.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer