Re: newbie packaging question

Ok, I've managed to create a .deb package, experimented with putting things in the rules file, installed my package locally. Learned a little about purge and kind of have the gist of what y'all have been trying to pound into my head.

But now I've run into a problem. For my first package, which is nothing but a test. I want to be able to run some commands after my package has been installed. Simple copy & execute commands.

I've modified the postinst.ex file, but my commands aren't being executed. And the Debian New Maintainers' Guide says I shouldn't do this (add to maintainer scripts) yet. So that tells me I should be putting my configuration commands for the just installed package somewhere else.

Any ideas? Or is the postinst.ex file correct, and i may be not writing the script correctly. I just added:

cp myFile /hardcoded path/
./path/myFile (wishing to run that file)

thx

Eric