Re: newbie packaging question

Eric Winger <ewinger@keyww.com> writes:

> Ahh, this brings up a point that has bothered me about debian. Well
> actually in this case, two points.
>
> * all the deb-src entries i tried to add to my sources.list give me
> * errors when I try to get the source. What is the url for sources?
> * This is my latest attempt:
>
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib free

That should work fine (well, modulo 'free' not existing; do you mean
'non-free'?).  Have you run 'apt-get update' (or a dselect or
atptitude update) before trying to run 'apt-get source'?  What errors
do you get?

> * how can one keep up on what the latest url's are for debian packages
> * etc. Is there a single spot where one can look? Or is this knowledge
> * I will only gain when I use the force?

It's in the Packages file that 'apt-get update' and friends download.
You can also look on http://packages.debian.org/, or in
debian/pool/main/l/lm-sensors (where lm-sensors is the source package
name, 'l' is its first letter, and library source packages begin with
'libl' or whatever) on your favorite Debian mirror.

	-- Abra Mitchell