Re: newbie packaging question

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:38:06AM -0700, Eric Winger wrote:
> Matthew Palmer wrote:
> >The easiest way for packages in the actual archive is to run 'apt-get
> >source <package>'.  That'll download the sources and unpack them into
> >the current directory.
>
> Ahh, this brings up a point that has bothered me about debian. Well
> actually in this case, two points.
>
> * all the deb-src entries i tried to add to my sources.list give me
> errors when I try to get the source. What is the url for sources? This
> is my latest attempt:
>
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib free

That's correct except that you want "non-free" there, not "free". (Ever
think you'd hear a Debian developer say that?)

> * how can one keep up on what the latest url's are for debian packages
> etc. Is there a single spot where one can look? Or is this knowledge I
> will only gain when I use the force?

I found it easiest (years ago) to read the sources.list(5) man page and
learn how those lines map into URLs, so I can then just go off with a
web browser or an FTP client, figure out what URL I need, and construct
the sources.list line from there.