Re: newbie packaging question

Matthew Palmer wrote:

The easiest way for packages in the actual archive is to run 'apt-get source <package>'. That'll download the sources and unpack them into the current
directory.

Ahh, this brings up a point that has bothered me about debian. Well actually in this case, two points.

* all the deb-src entries i tried to add to my sources.list give me errors when I try to get the source. What is the url for sources? This is my latest attempt:

deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib free

also tried woody, main, etc.

* how can one keep up on what the latest url's are for debian packages etc. Is there a single spot where one can look? Or is this knowledge I will only gain when I use the force?

thx

eric