Re: changelog in utf-8 conflicts with maintainer in control

Celso Gonz+AOE-lez (2003-08-01 13:14:33 +-0200) :

> One of the news of this version is that changelog _should_ be in
> utf-8 In my case the changelog should not be in utf-8 :)
>
> I have iconv'ed my changelog to be fully utf-8, but my name has a
> "strange character" that gets converted
>
> So when the uploader checks the name of the Maintainer in the
> control file (not utf-8) with the name in the changelog says that
> are different, and results in a NMU
>
> +AL8-Are my steps correct or i+AX0-m wrong?

I can't see where you could possibly go wrong.  I believe your steps
are correct.

> +AL8-Should I open a bug against debian-policy?

  Maybe not a bug, but you should definitely report this behaviour on
the debian-policy mailing-list.  My opinion would be that the control
file should also be switched to UTF-8.  If you could try that, and if
the uploader stops reporting that as an NMU, then you should suggest
policy to be changed to document that fact.

  Anyway, trust debian-policy, not me, as I don't have any diacritics
in *my* name :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

If you spit in the air, it lands in your face.
  -- Tevye, in Fiddler on the roof