changelog in utf-8 conflicts with maintainer in control

Hi

I have a problem with debian policy 3.6.0

One of the news of this version is that changelog _should_ be in utf-8
In my case the changelog should not be in utf-8 :)

I have iconv'ed my changelog to be fully utf-8, but my name has a
"strange character" that gets converted

So when the uploader checks the name of the Maintainer in the control
file (not utf-8) with the name in the changelog says that are different,
and results in a NMU

¿Are my steps correct or iŽm wrong?
¿Should I open a bug against debian-policy?

Best regards

--
Celso González