First steps in packaging

Quoting tony@maro.net <tony@maro.net> (2003-04-15 09:04:55 BST):
> Quoting Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>:
> > You're still better off building from source even if your software
> > doesn't use a Makefile. Just think "Do whatever is necessary to
> > compile" where the docs say "make" and "Get your software to install
> > into debian/<pkgname>/" where it says "make DESTDIR=$(PKGNAME)
> > install".
>
> Excellent info, thanks!  I've succeeded in creating (and installing) my
> first test package.
>
> I was reading the docs and it describes how to upload the i386 package...
> not mentioning the other files.  If I created my package this way, does it
> somehow adversely affect the package to be uploaded?
>
> I can't see that it does, just wanted to make sure.

When you run dupload or dput, you pass it the filename of your
i386.changes file (or whatever other architecture you're using). This
actually takes your changes file and additionally its .dsc, .diff.gz,
.debs and the orig.tar.gz (if it's a -1 release, otherwise it will
assume the archives already have it).

However, you're not that far yet, in that you probably don't have an
archive you can upload to. To get a package into Debian, it needs to
be sponsored, often by someone on this list.

PS. Please be careful with your quoting. Your reply mistakenly
implied that I'd said the first paragraph, so I've re-attributed it.
Not a concern this time, but mis-attributing could easily get you
into trouble.

PPS. Most people who read the Debian mailing lists are subscribed to
them. Mailing them as well as the list means they get two copies.
Being a cantankerous lot as a rule, we don't like this :)

--
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England