Re: Looking for a sponsor

mike@alezan.org (PROFETA Mickael) writes:

> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 01:08:51PM +0200, Aaron Isotton wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've packaged the book "Grokking the Gimp" by Carey Bunks.  Could
> > anybody sponsor me?
>
> If nobody has already answered you, I am interesting in sponsoring
you.

Yes please.

> > Whoever it is, he'd better have a fast link to the internet as the
> > package is >20MB.  I have uploaded all (except the .deb) files to
> > http://www.isotton.com/debian/grokking-the-gimp/.  As I only have a
> > 64k link I'll upload the .deb only when the package is perfect :)
> >
> > My previous sponsor said that the size of the package might be a
> > problem; I've already done what I can to reduce it, but the book
> > contains a lot of images, and as it is about graphics I cannot just
> > decrease their quality.
>
> I read your ITP and discussion un d.d. Do you clarify the problem with
> the licence?

Given the license, it definitely belongs into non-free.  The problem
is that it is (originally) a latex document, and that the latex source
is not available (I asked the author).  Thus, strictly speaking, it is
not debian-compliant.  But as the latex is "compiled" into HTML, which
is human-readable and easily modifiable, I was told on that it would
most probably be accepted anyway with some occasional protests.

Somebody else pointed out that converting the images to jpeg might
reduce the size quite much; the problem is that almost all the images
use some kind of transparency, which is AFAIK not supported by jpeg,
or most browsers at least.  Another reason for choosing png was that
web2png was readily available.

> Mike

Thank you.

--