Re: RFS: nvrec

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:55:25PM +0200, Marc Leeman wrote:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> > What about autobuilders, or anyone who might have to do a non-maintainer
> > upload of the package at some point in the future?
>
> Autobuilders will have a package that is tailored to their system
> (optimised, hence running faster).

No, no, no. The autobuilders that produce Debian packages for other
packages *must* be able to automatically produce packages that work on
plain-vanilla systems of their architecture.

> Somebody that does a non-maintainer build (not me), will have to check
> and modify the debian/rules script.

That means that non-maintainers are quite likely to get it wrong, since
most packages don't require this kind of customization just to build a
standard version for upload.

> As I see it, this is the best solution: if you _do_ an apt-get source,
> you _do_ want it customised for your system.

Usually, when I do this, I'm trying to debug a problem and therefore
don't want my changes to affect the package in unexpected ways ...
people who are trying to build optimized packages will already be using
things like pentium-builder.

Perhaps DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=optimize (or optimise, depending on your
spelling religion)?