Re: Looking for an advocate

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:49:50AM +0200, Jens Peter Secher wrote:

> I would like to be a full-blown Debian Developer, and therefore I need
> an advocate.  I maintain the following packages (see
> http://www.diku.dk/~jpsecher/debian.html)
>
>         changetrack
>         libfile-ncopy-perl
>         sml-mode
>         buddy
>         mosml (nonfree)
>         mosml-libs
>         muddy
>         mgtk
>
> of which the first three are already in the pool, kindly sponsored by
> Andras Bali and Colin Walters.  My short-term plans are to get mosml
> (a compiler) out of nonfree, adopting package haskell-doc and
> packaging ifile (a mail filter using statistical methods).

I suppose that mosml is moscow ML, based on the caml-light engine, but
using the SML syntax ?

If so, i suppose the non-freeness comes from the moscow ML guys reusing
the caml-light engine, which was non-free, and even non distributable
back then when they started developpment.

caml-light was later replaced by ocaml, which, after various tries
finally got released under a free licence (LGPL + QPL + some other
modification recommended by RMS), but i don't think this applies to the
caml-light code base, so you would need to discuss this with the moscow
ml authors as well as with the INRIA caml team.

If you want, i could advocate you, i don't have much time though, so if
there is someone else, it would be ok also.

BTW, what is mgtk ?

(it would have been usefull if you provide links to your packages,
and/or a a short description of those.)

Also, feel free to join the debian-ocaml-maint mailing list, which
altough is devoted to maintainers of ocaml related packages, may be of
interrest to you, especially regarding the moscow ML freeness stuff and
other.

Friendly,

Sven Luther