Re: finding version of package being installed in postinst

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 11:12:24AM -0500, Chris Danis wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 16:11:47 +0100 Eric Van Buggenhaut <eric@eric.ath.cx> wrote
> :
>
> > On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 02:29:31AM +0100, Ivo Timmermans wrote:
> [...]
> > > So I wondered if I could somehow find out if the user is upgrading
> > > from a version before this upstream version, and issue a message
> > > referring to a document somewhere in /usr/share/doc during postinst.
> >
> > I have faced the same problem with a package for the last days. If you find
> > out, please let me know :-)
>
> From /usr/share/doc/packaging-manual/packaging.html/
> ch-maintainerscripts.html:
>
> 6.2 Summary of ways maintainer scripts are called
> * postinst configure most-recently-configured-version
>
> So if the old upstream version was configured properly, postinst will get
> its version number.
>
> But - do NOT do this just by echoing stuff out from postinst; this breaks
> for non-interactive installs. Read up on debconf and have it display a
> note for the user (as the non-interactive frontend will mail root with
> this note). It also might be a good idea to read up on debconf anyway so
> you can use it to configure the package :)

Yes this is the correct way to do this, but please don't do it for
every single stupid inane thing (tm)
if people don't read README.Debian that's their fault.

--
Brian Russo      <brusso@phys.hawaii.edu>
Debian/GNU Linux <wolfie@debian.org> http://www.debian.org