Re: keeping files from one version to the other.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 01:32:21PM +0100, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> > > It does not violate 13.3 because at the time the package is newly installed,
> > > /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/* exists.
> >
> > ...so the system administrator won't get a chance to delete them and won't
> > cause the program (the script) to break. That's the rationale behind that
> > policy section, it seems.
>
> Plausible argument, but I seem to recall discussions of scenarios where
> the sysadmin wants /usr/share/doc so un-badly that it will never exist and
> will never be installed, e.g. by using some kind of dpkg feature to avoid
> installation of these directories. Can't hurt to be prepared for that kind
> of thing? Maybe policy should be clarified here whether maintainer scripts
> need apply or not...

It seems to me that it would be overzealous to worry about that now...
creating a special /usr/share/ppp directory (or whatever) just for
this purpose, and linking the files in doc/ppp/examples to these.

We can do it when (or if) dpkg starts supports exclusion of directories on
installation.