gnupg signing

I now have my key, scannec copy of id, etc. all in hand, and am ready to
post to new-maintainer, but I am not sure how to sign my message.  I don't
see any gpg options to mh, and if I include my scanned identification as
an attachment, then it will not count as input to the hash of the message.
Is it sufficient to sign the text part of the message only, or do I need
to locate a mailer that will make a hash of all attachments once
everything else is done?

Britton Kerin
__
GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."