Questions on packaging.

G'Evening...

I've several question and problems with a package I'm trying to build.
Well, here we go.

1. In the rules file some directories /var/run/diablo/, /var/spool/news/
   are 775 and not 755. How evil is that? Honestly I don't know whether
   755 breaks anything. And it already was like this in the last two
   Diablo releases.

2. lintian also complains about this:
   W: diablo: missing-depends-line

   Hmh. Not good. debian/control says this: "Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}"
   What am I missing here?

3. Additional lintian warnings:
   E: diablo: statically-linked-binary usr/sbin/diablo
   E: diablo: statically-linked-binary usr/lib/news/dbin/dnewslink

   When debian/rules is called I get this:
   [..]
   dpkg-shlibdeps dbin/diablo
   dpkg-gencontrol
   no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("root") at /usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.
   dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${shlibs:Depends}
   [..]
   What am I doing wrong here?

4. What is the preferred uid to build such packages under? for the binary
   target at least you need uid 0. Now with libtricks and devscripts there's
   a "build" which works and even finds my pgp key when doing build with my
   usual login.
   What problems will arise if I do "chown -R efraim *" on the source tree?
   Any proven way that simply works?

Enough for today... I'm too much afraid of what I misread or misunderstood..

TIA,
Alexander

--
Razors pain you, rivers are damp, acids stain you and drugs cause cramp. Guns
aren't lawful, nooses give, gas smells awful; You might as well let them live.