Help needed--XFree86 configuration

I've been a UNIX user in the distant past, but I'm on day 2 as a LINUX maintainer. I'm doing this as a diversion only. If this is not the right forum for such a question, please kindly let me know.

I cannot seem to get my mouse to respond to XFree86 configuration. I'm using a Microsoft serial mouse, thus I'm trying to use the Microsoft protocol with the "/dev/smouse" name.

I've loaded Linux onto a Toshiba 2130, and I found an XFree86 configuration on the Web for this machine. This file uses the PS/2 protocol with the "/dev/mouse" name. I discovered that I don't have "/dev/mouse." I'm assuming that the person who built that config file using using the Accupoint mouse that is integral to the laptop. Without the "/dev/mouse," trying this config seems futile.

I'm happy using either the external Microsoft mouse or the integral Accupoint mouse. The Hardware HOWTO suggests that either mouse should be supported.

Thanks for your help.--tim