Re: Debian tasks: Reputer

On 07/18/2012 12:13 AM, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Hello,

Hi all,

> On 07/17/2012 06:13 PM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> I have seen Reputer in Debian tasks.
>>
>> Its license should be modified to  "non-commercial".
>> Furthermore, we cannot download the software. To get it, one need to
>> send a document to the author S. Kurtz.
>> I have already been in contact with him for other software, and he does
>> not wish to free those softwares as he still gets some money through
>> licensing to commercial companies.
>>
>> This impacts RepeatFinder as it depends on Reputer....
>
> We have Rosetta and VMD as prior art of "accessible source for some individuals".
> @Sascha, should you happen to find the leisure and prepare Debian
> packages for Reputer, it would be nice to consider adding the
> debian folder to the subversion repository.

I have just talked to Stefan (Kurtz) about this and apparently he is not
interested in making REPuter available, even in binary form, without a
signed written license agreement. So that means it is not just about
"accessible source for some individuals", the problem rather being the
uncontrollable nature of distributing the software via a Debian repository.
Regarding source, the source code of REPuter is also not open.
By the way, the REPuter functionality is now contained in the Vmatch
software suite (http://www.vmatch.de), which is similarly licensed.
Sorry to disappoint, but it seems quite unlikely that a package will
ever come up for this software.

> Many greetings
> Steffen

Best,