Re: MediSnap - GPLv3 medical photo system - just released

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>> Sadly the most cool feature does not work: Take a picture while the
>> camera is connected via usb, still having full control over the camera's
>> own buttons/menu and automatically having the just token image
>> transferred to the pc and displaying it while making the next foto.
>
> There's a *lot* of el-cheapo web cams which can do this sort
> of thing free (beer/freedom) via v4l or even usb picture
> mode (think Digikam & friends).

Hi, I'm really curious if you are right!

I tried three different SDKs (Canon SDK, Nikon SDK and Olympus SDK), and
the only one where it really worked was a small subset: the Olympus
E-System cameras in combination with there 'Mocha' driver.

All other cameras i tried, switched themselves into some kind of
pc-controlled mode as soon as you connect them via usb. Sure, you could
still trigger a photo with your pc, but what we wanted is
- - the camera fully operating like it wasn't connected to the pc
- - and automatically transferring images to the pc as soon as you shot a
photo
- - and having some callback called on the pc as whenever a new photo
arrived

The 2nd thing is, that we wanted to be able to take macro-photos of
human skin, which is easily possible with macro lenses of the E-System.

I bet that exactly this problem is the reason why there is no cheap (or
free) replacement for 'FotoFinder' out there.

So if you know of any other camera/software combination that can do this
kind of thing please let us know!

cu,

jan

- --
publictimestamp.org/ptb/PTB-10976 ripemd256 2011-01-23 05:47:36
CDD2C665F4E6667BC53CED33C34DAC0324F8A29AA815B827C7412E20B612D371