Re: OpenVista for Ubuntu

GT.M - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. No compromises.

On 11/23/2009 04:24 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

thanks fro your quick reply.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:09:56AM -0800, Jonathan Tai wrote:
 > I've been packaging GT.M for Ubuntu for a few months now with the aim of
 > making OpenVista easier to install on Ubuntu.  I've succeeded in
 > creating packages that can be installed and removed cleanly, have the
 > proper dependencies, can be built from source, etc.  However, the
 > packages I've created aren't "clean" in that they don't conform to the
 > FHS -- they just throw everything in /opt as if you used GT.M's
 > installer script.  They also require root to build (debuild -r sudo),
 > since GT.M's installer doesn't honor DESTDIR.  I've tried to overcome
 > these limitations by hacking the GT.M installer script and installing in
 > a fake chroot, but have run into problems with these approaches that I
 > believe will require upstream changes to GT.M to resolve.

So most probably Bhaskar is your friend. ;-)

[KSB] From my side, Jon is a personal friend and a valued technical collaborator!

 > I think Bhaskar is attempting to create "clean" packages that would be
 > accepted upstream by Debian.  When he completes his packages and they
 > are accepted upstream, I will likely adapt our openvista-* packages to
 > use Bhaskar's GT.M packages and stop packaging GT.M myself.  In the
 > meantime, I hope that you and Bhaskar might find some of my packaging
 > work helpful -- if you see anything that can be used for the "clean"
 > packages, please use it.

[KSB] I found I needed to rework some of the user scripts in the GT.M distribution first, which I will get into the GT.M packages. But it appears that creating Debian friendly packages - not just binary packages but Debian source packages that build into Debian binary packages is somewhat more complicated than I envisioned, and since it is a background activity, I have not made as much progress as I had hoped.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

Thanks for the clarification.  If you are interested to work in the
Debian Med team to prepare Debian packages as a prerequisite for Ubuntu
just subscribe to the Debian Med mailing list[1] and perhaps join the
Debian Med Alioth project to gain commit permissions for the packaging
stuff.  My guess is that we might need people for testing and checking
in the future and you have obviosely interest and knowledge in the
GT.M and Vista issues.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/