Re: Upstream removing manpage attribution. WTF?

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:32:29PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> > However, I don't think that gives permission to remove the author's name.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> it is strange. I could imagine that they had difficulties distinguishing the
> authorship of the man page from the authorship of the core software somehow.

That's definitely not nice but it might have been done also by accident
and not by bad will.  I also do not think that beeing an author of a man
page is an important point regarding your scientific reputation because
people tend to ignore this anyway - beeing mentioned as author of a
Debian package which probably has higher Google ranking might be regarded
higher.

What you definitely can do is mentioning your copyright in the Debian
copyright file because you are controling this.

> We could ban mustang from Debian, or just have some more relaxed view about it.

IMHO banning is to harsh and does not help anybody (not our users and also
not Morton - as I mentioned above, beeing the Debian Maintainer is probably
noticed).

> WTF sounds right to me.

+1