Re: LSB status of sarge?

[not subscribed, please cc on any followup]

- i18n problems with diff and coreutils.  These are issues with
upstream hesitance in accepting the patches sent by the OpenI18N team. I have been told that these problems will be waived until the patches
are accepted upstream.  OTOH, the problems relate to multibyte support
in these utilities, I'm told, and so I'd expect the problems to really
affect some of our users as well.

For the record, the last time I looked at these patches they didn't add
general multibyte support to coreutils, they fixed just enough to pass
the lsb tests. I'm not going to include that kind of gratuitous hack.
We'll either support or not, I'm not going to kinda support it just
enough to fool some arbitrary test script.

I'm still pissed about the LSB tests mandating multibyte support when
POSIX requires multibyte support only if you claim support for multibyte
locales. (I.e., we should be able to avoid this problem by saying that
we're not supporting multibyte locales for LSB purposes in sarge.) Last
I heard someone was supposed to issue a clarification on that issue.

Mike Stone