Bug#697650: support short locales boot parameter
tag 697650 - patch
tag 697650 + moreinfo
there are several issues with the suggested patch:
* doesn't follow coding style, see live-manual for details.
* doesn't contain update for the (english) manpage to document the
* comments are showing wrong examples, locales=ch would result in
ch_CH which doesn't exist (and thus shows the limitations of the
suggested behaviour, which is why i think it's not usefull anyway
and which is why i've removed that in the first place).
* i'm not entirely sure, but iirc the utf-8 by default is not
necessary as libc will default to any non-specified locale to the
utf-8 characterset anyway. would be nice if someone would check
* we do want to do things in live config as 'optimized' as possible,
as it impacts boot time directly (remember, live-config is run
as first job and *not* in parallel with other initscripts on
purpose). please use single-statment assignement for the first
* breaks/doesn't work with multiple locales such as locales=en,de
even if all the issues above are fixed, i'm not convinved we do really
want that. it doesn't fit into live-config to do such 'limited' 'magic'.
limited as indicated above, the only 'gain' here is for people that want
'xx_XX' locales that they can specify 'xx'. for everyone else (people
using xx_YY), it doesn't matter.
magic as all parameters to live-config take values that exactely match
the values you'd put into the respective configuration files itself,
making it straight forward to handle (no magic) and to document (refer
to the original configured package).
Address: Daniel Baumann, Donnerbuehlweg 3, CH-3012 Bern