Re: Customized Configurations?

Greetings,

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:08:22PM -0600, Richard Nelson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have found that I can add text files like xorg.conf.wacom in the
> > config/chroot_local-includes directory and they will be written to usb
> > drive system's root directory.  Thus, after the usb drive is booted the
> > configuration files can be copied to their apporopriate locations.
> > Clumsy, but workable.
> >

> Unsure why you say clumsy, I find it very logical and it has served me well.
> I would suggest that you examine the manual ( it is under construction but),
> it may answer many of your questions:
>
>  http://live.debian.net/manual/

Clumsy only because it requires two steps - one an addition to
config/chroot_local-includes and the second to edit the finished system
after boot up.

The second part does not make any sense perhaps I miss something here. Anyhow to each their own opion this topic but if you have a better way you could send a patch to do it the way you believe it should work and people can examine. For me I believe the config directory serves a clear purpose.  Also if you want to not use the features the config/ provides just do a basic lh_config and then stage out your build to suit your wants. This mailer may help:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-live-devel/2007-March/000998.html

 Some of these edits are not preserved after a shutdown
and reboot.

I am confused here, are you talking about persistence? Live systems in general do not save settings.