Re: Live Media

On Montag 16 Februar 2009, Chris Lamb wrote:
> Sebastian Hilbert wrote:
> > I have a dedicated server that could server for development purposes.
>
> That's very kind of you, however the machine would be for significantly
> more than mere "development"; it would be a public service for building
> images.
>
> > >  * Large amount of bandwidth for downloads
> >
> > That is a problem but images can be served from sourceforge I guess.
>
> Hm, I don't really understand that - we would hardly be saving bandwidth
> as images would have to be uploaded to SourceForge to begin with. Also--
> speaking generally--SourceForge has a very poor reputation in Debian and
> it would look rather unprofessional to do that.

I don't fully understand your point yet. Most of the bandwidth will be
consumed by downloading prepared images.

For openSUSE they have the same problem so for now they have this service
available by invitation only. I was suggesting that building the images on
the machine would be an option but serving the images needs more thinking
such as serving them via sourceforge. We could always ask hetzner (provider)
if they are willing to donate a machine and bandwidth. They will say no in
the worst case.

--
Sebastian Hilbert
Leipzig / Germany