Re: Live Media

Hi Sebastian,

> Take a look at
> http://bornkessel.com/kesselblog/?p=30
>
> given that I am constantly trying to keep up with providing recent
> versions of GNUmed as live media let me compare the solutions for openSUSE
> and Debian

I found your comparison intriguing. First, a minor correction - as David
points out, live-magic is indeed a pretty usable frontend to live-helper but
it still requires that users actually build the images on their own machines
which--for many reasons--people seem to shy away from. It also has some
limitations in terms of package selection, etc.

Anyway, I was never quite satisfied with the architectual design of
live-webhelper so a few months ago I wrote some code that pretty much
implemented most of openSUSE Studio (as I currently understand it) as a
web-based application.

However, I stopped development after I realised I did not have the hardware
resources to actually go live with something like that. It would need:

 * A reasonably fast machine

 * Enough local storage to:

  - temporarily store generate images, and

  - host a local Debian mirror

 * Large amount of bandwidth for downloads

 * Root access to build images

I believe this last requirement would rule out the use of any DSA-maintained
machines. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Regards,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb