From: Mathieu Lutfy [mailto:mathieu@bidon.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:56 AM
To: debian-lex@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debian-Lex Rebirth?

I am also interested. I am a programmer working on a small case management
application (http://www.lcm.ngo-bg.org/).

We seem to have quite a few users in various fields, but they are always
quite shy and send us very little information about their practices, which
makes it hard to develop and support such an application (unless we are in
direct contact, which is only a tiny fraction of our users).

I am not very sure what a list such as debian-lex should focus on, since
even if there are many free software solutions for the legal sector, they
are often specific solutions for a small target group. There is not really a
"killer app". Altough the list on
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-lex/index.html is a good start.

I am also not sure what the be the focus: for servers or for desktops of
lawyers?

As a developer of a software which depends on MySQL/Apache/PHP, I would of
course be interested in having a Debian solution which easily allows people
with minimal technical knowledge to do such a setup. Also, legal offices
need good backups which are easy to setup and secure
(backupninja/duplicity?), etc.

Another topic which I would find interesting to discuss, is how various
offices manage their accountancy. Are there many users of Ledger-SMB (or
sql-ledger)? I think it is a great program, and if we can
stimulate/facilitate case management or other software to integrate into it,
we would be able to offer a more interesting set of packages for legal
offices.

Am I offtrack? Has this already been discussed?

matt