LICENSE appendix kept untouched ?

Hello debian-legal,

I was wondering about the best practises for an upstream project
concerning their LICENSE/COPYING files (especially with widespread
licenses).

The point is about the appendix section (after the end of terms and
conditions) which explains how common license terms must be applied
and how the copyright holder have to be updated.

1. Could you confirm that these files must *always* be kept untouched
   by upstream authors (as I suppose now after some discussions) ?

2. Is the appendix section must/should/may be present ?

   Example:
   - the `Gnomovision` example in GPL-2 file

3. Is there any step to review for a Debian maintainer with specific
   content like:

   Examples:
   - blank copyright line¹ often found in LICENSES files
   - GPL-2 'any-later-version' option² in source code notices

Perhaps debian-legal@ has remarks/recommendation to share. It might help
some newcomers like me.

Thanks,

¹ copyright line is often enclosed in brackets in LICENSE file as:
  Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]
  (from Apache-2.0)
² «... the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
  (at your option) any later version.»
--
Julien JEHANNET                                          LOGILAB, Paris (France)