Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

"Arc Riley" <arcriley@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:08 AM, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > The source-transmission requirement is hardly onerous if it has
> > loopholes (like hosting on third-party cost-free VCSes, perhaps), but
> > it's not yet clear exactly what those are.
>
> It's not a loophole, it's the expectation.  Section 13 only specifies "a"
> server, not the protocol, not that it must be hosted over your net
> connection, nor does it say that you must own/rent the server yourself.

If the previously-available modified copy that you are using goes
offline, does one then have to post the source?

Is there a generally-accepted statement from FSF that a free VCS
solution is sufficient, or is this interpretation only valid for PySol?

How can an application deny remote access to people without
interacting with them at all?

> For our project, I intend to offer free hosting of branches of the engine
> and games based on the engine (along with any variants thereof) on the *.
> pysoy.org server as we reach a point where that's needed.  There's of course
> no requirement that anyone upload their modifications to this specific
> server, it's a convience factor as the primary purpose of our project is to
> lower the barrier for entry for copyleft game development.

Lowering the barrier for entry could be done more cheaply by using the
GPL.

Thanks,
--
MJR/slef