FAQ update: Q9, test origins, was: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

"Miriam Ruiz" <miriam@debian.org> wrote:
> >>Yes, I'm saying that it might be failing it. If you use a program
> > Not that this matters, since this "test" is not part of the DFSG.
>
> It's an old discussion. It may not be explicitly included, but it's
> implied by them. I know that for some people it's still a
> controversial issue.

[FAQ maintainer cc'd]  I suggest adding the following paragraphs to
http://people.debian.org/~bap/dfsg-faq
please, because I'm getting bored of re-finding them.  All three
existed before I started posting to debian-legal in May 2003, so
please let me know if I've mis-summarised any of them.

[Under 9a The Desert Island test.]

This test first appeared in <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/01/msg00010.html";>a
discussion of vim in 2002</a> as a test of DFSGs 1, 2 and 3 in
receive-only development environments, probably based on the joke
about old hackers retiring to desert islands to escape flamewars which
has been <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/07/msg00129.html";>posted
to debian lists</a> sometimes.

[Under 9b The Dissident test.]

This test originated in <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2002/08/msg00282.html";>a
discussion of mixmaster in 2002</a> as a rationale for not accepting
forced submission or identification. It seems grounded in the DFSGs
"1. Free redistribution" and "5. No discrimination against persons or
groups" and built on <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2001/05/msg00057.html";>an
earlier discussion of mixmaster</a>.

[Under 9c The Tentacles of Evil test.]

This test was first posted to this FAQ as a test of forced-upgrade
and termination clauses which can break DFSG 1.  It was <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/03/msg00591.html";>first
mentioned on debian mailing lists in 2003</a> and <a
href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/08/msg00388.html";>discussed
again in relation to the GNU FDL</a>.

Hope that helps,
--