Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

Francesco Poli <frx@firenze.linux.it> writes:

> The key difference is that the GPL does not in any way restrict the
> *use* of a *modified* or *unmodified* work. The AfferoGPL restricts
> the *use* of a *modified* work.

I find it best to avoid making such statements about the term "use",
since it has famously been the core of many misunderstandings. For
example, many who would call the GPL non-free say that their "right to
use the work in a proprietary derivative work" is restricted. (I don't
agree, but the discussion can only proceed by disambiguating different
meanings of "use".)

Instead, "use" should be avoided, and more specific actions should be
discussed, such as "run the program".

--
 \          “All good things are cheap; all bad are very dear.” —Henry |
  `\                                                     David Thoreau |