Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

2008/8/23 Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org>:
> So everything is fine until someone wants to modify the software.
> But if they do, you say they are no longer allowed to run it without
> fullfilling some restrictions. I fail to see how anyone can consider that free.

A new question has come to my mind: What would happen if you run an
AGPLv3 program that was modified by someone else. I had a look at the
license restrictions and found that it just says "Notwithstanding any
other provision of this License, if you modify the Program, your
modified version must prominently offer all users interacting with it
remotely through a computer network (if your version supports such
interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of
your version by providing access to the Corresponding Source from a
network server at no charge, through some standard or customary means
of facilitating copying of software.", which IMO provides an easy way
to circunvent this limitation of the license, please someone correct
me if I'm wrong:

If I get an AGPLv3 program, modify it, give my modifications (along
with the source code and the license) to a third person, and that
person uses it "as is" in a network environment, that 3rd person (who
hasn't modified the program) wouldn't be included in section 13
restrictions, thus the protection would be circunvented, with the
changes not being published in the network. Is anything wrong with my
reasoning?

Greetings,
Miry