Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

* Arc Riley <arcriley@gmail.com> [080823 01:19]:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM, David Martínez Martí <
> deavidsedice@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem with this license is, that anyone that tries to use and/or
> > modify it must distribute it to third parties. I don't think that can be
> > free.
>
> This is not the case.  You are not required by the AGPLv3 section 13 to
> ensure the code is made available to anyone unless you have modified the
> code *and* you're allowing remote users to use that modified version over a
> network.  Your own private use of the software, modified or not, does not
> activate AGPLv3 section 13.

So you say that the "and/or" in above statement is only an "and". I
don't see how that reduces the non-freeness.

> The purpose of the AGPLv3 is the GPL (v2 or v3) is not sufficient to
> guarentee the freedoms we value in software given the new wave of
> network-based software where the user would never receive a copy in most
> cases.

Please stop this "new wave" FUD. How many people had their own computer
when the GPL was made? How many people back then only used software
on other people systems without owning a copy of it? Where is there
anything new here except the attempt to limit people's right to run
their software for any purpose they see fit?

Thanks in advance,
	Bernhard R. Link