Re: Is AGPLv3 DFSG-free?

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 19:53:46 Arc Riley wrote:
> At the risk of repeating myself, I don't believe this technical challenge
> of reliably hosting code poses a serious hurdle to compliance with this
> license.

The problem with this license is, that anyone that tries to use and/or
modify it must distribute it to third parties. I don't think that can be free.

But, ok, suposse that's not a problem. The next problem is that this
license was written with a scenario in mind (Internet + VCS + money for
hosting) . It doesn't was desinged to cover all posible cases. Only one is
covered.

Some people doesn't know how to setup a VCS. I don't know if the
hosting will invoice each MB transfered from a hosting.

What if someone uses that software using a network over WAP, or GSM
tecnology? (Mobile internet conections are slower and limited by Mbytes)

> We have distributed VCS systems available and in widespread use, for
> example.  A GIT/Mercurial/Bazaar/etc setup which is mirrored to
multiple
> servers run by multiple groups would ensure that the source is always
> available, if the current VCS services pose a problem for AGPLv3
> compliance.

Wait. You're thinking about "public" source code, not free software. Free
software can be modified, used, distributed and selled without making it
public.   Don't think that someone will like your idea about sharing the
code in public servers. I place my own code in public servers, I like that.
But there are other people that doesn't like that.