Re: mined copyright with no copyright

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:31:47 -0300 Mauro Lizaur wrote:

[...]
> Well, the last time i contacted Thomas Wolff

Thomas, IIUC, is the current maintainer of mined but not the (sole)
copyright holder.  Is that correct?

> about this and he replied
> with this:
> ---
> Hi Mauro,
> I confirm there was no copyright notice or file attached, just a doc
> file with the line
>  Author: Michiel Huisjes.
> near the top.
> There is some discussion about Minix license to be found on the web, e.g.
> <http://minix1.woodhull.com/faq/mxlicense.html>
> but I would actually even assume that mined is not really part of the
> operating system but rather a tool written for it.

Hence, it seems that the relicensing does not affect mined, do I
understand correctly?

> If it is seems to be helpful, I could include a copy of that BSD-like
> copyright text somewhere in the source subdirectory,
> maybe included in the mined.doc file, but I wouldn't like to place it
> into the main directory so other distributions might
> see a conflict to the GPL and complain in turn...
> I hope this is sufficient to get a "pass" from the lawyer,

I'm not sure I quite understand this part.
Is Thomas Wolff proposing to "apply" the 3-clause BSD license (of
Minix3) to mined?  We need to make sure that all the copyright holders
for mined (whoever they are) agree to this (re-)licensing, in order make
this happen.

This issue should really be solved, since the Debian Project could be
currently distributing mined without the legal permission to do so.

My usual disclaimers: IANAL, TINLA, IANADD, TINASOTODP.

--
 http://frx.netsons.org/doc/index.html#nanodocs
 The nano-document series is here!